Our buildings are ideal for rats and mice because they provide food, water, warmth and shelter. For these reasons you may notice rats and mice inside buildings more in the cooler months.
Rats and Mice Can…
- Spread disease to humans via their droppings or urine.
- Spread sickness and death via parasites such as fleas and intestinal worms.
- Cause extensive physical damage to doors, skirting boards, books, food containers and upholstery.
- Spoil and Contaminate food with their droppings, urine or fur.
Signs of Rodent Activity Include
- Droppings New rodent droppings are shiny and pliable and within 2-3 days become dull and hard. Mouse droppings are 3-6mm long and have pointed ends. Rat droppings are up to 12mm long and have blunted ends
- Rubmarks These are greasy smear marks and they are caused when rodents rub their fur against vertical surfaces such as walls
- Burrows Rat burrows are normally found next to waterways and buildings.
- Sounds Rats and Mice are normally heard at night and they include squeaking in the case of mice and clawing and gnawing in the case of rats.
- Nest A rodent nest is usually made of rags and paper and cardboard.
- Gnawing Rats gnaw to keep their incisors down and use wood, metal, conduit and cables in order to do this. When rats gnaw cables for instance this can expose bare wires and cause short circuits or fires.
What We Do
Set up a guaranteed program to control rodents in a building and it’s surrounding environment and advise how you can help reduce future problems. By the way, if you want to do it on your own, we reccomend our article about proven methods on how to get rid of rats.
Inspect We will carry out a survey and report our findings.
- Bait We will set up rodent bait stations at various strategic locations in and around the buildings. These rodent bait stations securely hold the bait within the station which means that secondary poisoning of non target animals are greatly reduced to almost zero.
- Traps We can set up specially designed traps where baits cannot be used.
- Tracking Powders Sometimes we may need to use rodent tracking powders.
- What You Can Do with our Help and Advice
- Sanitation You can reduce food and water available to rodents. One way you can help is to avoid keeping rubbish indoors overnight.
- Proofing We can advise you on ways you can help to proof your home against rodent entry. This may include simple measures such as fixing mesh over holes to prevent rodent entry.